Thursday, May 16, 2013

Seasons Of Love.

"In daylights, in sunsets,
in midnights, in cups of coffee,
in inches, in miles,
in laughter, in strife."

-Cast of Rent.

We said goodbye tonight to one of the greatest comedy shows ever tonight. The Office has had its run and what an amazing one it's been. I have been in love with this show for years and I thank it ever so much for its jokes, one-liners and antics that have left me smiling.

As they signed off on the show, some of their parting words struck a chord with me. It brought me back to about a year ago when I had to leave the people I had loved and lost and laughed with for the past 13 years. Boy, that was one of the hardest moments to walk away knowing I would never have those years back. Years that I spent so many hours being embarrassing and dumb and young in. Sure, I'm still young, but elementary school was where the cool kids were at. 

The one that hit me the most was when Andy profoundly said this great outlook:

"I wish you could see that it was the golden years during the golden years."

Buddy, you're telling me. I grew up hating this place. I hated who I was here. In fact, there were times that I hated everyone including my friends and family. I dreamed of the day I could run away to a giant city and get swallowed up in its magnificence. I hated this small-town living and everyone that was involved in it. But now, I see why it all matters. The moment I stepped off the plane to the big city where I would spend my next four years, I saw what I thought was always missing.

Home truly is where the heart is. 

I guess I lost sight of that when some people here got me down or turned my thoughts into cynical ideas. Maybe I should stop blaming all these conspiracies on others and focus on the fact that I wasted my time and attention toward the obvious truth. My last 18 years of my life have been truly and absolutely golden. I've had rough patches like anyone else has, but it makes the best times even greater than I could imagine.

So as The Office left its television airings forever (or at least for a few months), I am left sitting alone in my bedroom, feeling a bit of emotional nostalgia in the air. I long for the days that I could go back or at least be put in a moment to honor and recognize that the moment will matter later on. It's important to cling to your past and memories because they are some of the most valuable and priceless items we will ever know. 

Cheers to The Office for nine wonderful seasons. And for giving us laughter. And teaching us that even the most simple and ordinary days play such a significant role in who we are and where we're going. Bravo.


P.S. Oh yeah, and Michael Scott came back. I LOVE YOU AND YOU ARE THE WORLD'S BEST BOSS. (That's what she said...)

No comments:

Post a Comment