Friday, January 25, 2013

Best Of You.

"It's real, the pain you feel.
The life, the love you'd die to heal.
The hope that starts the broken hearts."

-Foo Fighters

Ah, reminiscing. Such a joy brought to my heart every time I look back on my amazing memories from the past. It makes me so happy to have had some of the best times of my mind in hopes that I can replay them in the movie of my mind forever. Tonight's topic: popular songs of junior high days. The time where adding -izzle to any word was off the hook and rap took over the pop radio waves. For tonight, I'm going for top 10 circa 2006. Flashback commence.

Sexyback-Justin Timberlake
This song is probably the best song of the 2000s decade. I cannot get enough of this song because the beat is so fresh and the idea was mindblowing to everyone around. I swear to this day that this is still the number one song to get a party started. JT forever.

Promiscuous-Nelly Furtado feat. Timbaland
I still remember dancing around my best friend's room to this song every Friday night. This was the year of Nelly Furtado's takeover and Timbaland was the perfect person to collaborate with. Too great.

Move Along-All American Rejects
All American Rejects were my all-time favorite band in middle school. I screamed their lyrics at the top of my lungs and fell in love with every song from this record. When I saw them for free at a concert, that was the moment where this song became so real to me. Every time I hear it, I can still hear the crowd yelling the lyrics back to Tyson Ritter in pure unison.

Gold Digger-Kanye West feat. Jamie Foxx
Kanye West, you will always be my favorite rapper in my book. The story behind this song is so GENIUS, I can't even handle it. And Jamie Foxx on the track getting all soulful? Now that's one hot record.

For You I Will-Teddy Geiger
Don't you dare tell me different that this was the slow dance song of the year. Every girl in America swooned over this soft rock/pop ballad performed by the dreamboat known as Teddy Geiger. Come on, ladies. We were all completely jealous of Kristin Cavallari being the star of his music video. 

Gimme That-Chris Brown
The year that made Chris Brown completely hot. Whenever I hear the first three seconds of this song, I know it's about to get fresh in the building. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Love this track. 

Ain't No Other Man-Christina Aguilera
This music video made me want to be Christina. Her 40s pin-up look was beyond me and her whole persona was my ideal lifestyle. She had the perfect hair, perfect wardrobe and perfect makeup. And her vocals? Out. Of. This. World.

Chasing Cars-Snow Patrol
Everyone and their mother was obsessed with this song back in the day. I'll admit, I got sick of it after a while. But when I hear it now, I realize just how good the lyrics are. They were beyond their time and still stay true today. Such a beautiful song with a passionate message. I mean, heck, my grandma even loves this song.

So Sick-Neyo
Can't go wrong with this one. I have no idea why, but I've always been a sucker for some smooth R&B music. (Usher, anyone?) Neyo took the world by storm with this opening hit and it always comes back to me. And yes, it reminds me of little Niall Horan auditioning for X-Factor. Guilty as charged. 

Walk Away-Kelly Clarkson
Kelly Clarkson is and will always be my main girl. She is one of my heroes and this album of hers will always ring true in my heart. "Walk Away" inspired me to sing as loud as I can with an attitude to boot. LOVE this song. Power to you, Kelly.

What are your favorite songs from that year? One of the coolest things about reminiscing music from the past is remembering the first time you heard it, how much you loved the music video, or even knowing how you felt when it came on the radio. Music is empowering, even when it is from long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment