Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Matthew 6:21

"For where your treasure is,
there will your heart be also."

-Matthew 6:21

Ash Wednesday has never been a big deal in my house. We acknowledge the fact that people do participate in its annual prayers, but Lent was more about Filet O'Fish Fridays at McDonalds than the sacrifices for Christ.

Now, I'm not going to go all Jesus up in here. But today, I attended my first ever Ash Wednesday church service. Let me tell you: It was refreshingly uplifting and made me feel as if I was beginning my journey to purity. As I stated, I am giving up the all mighty show, Gossip Girl, in order to represent the sacrifices given to all mankind by Christ. Although a struggle may be upon me, I'm willing to take that into account so I can grow deeper in my faith. And I don't just mean spiritual/religious faith.

Lent is a time that could, quite possibly, reflect a cleansing period for many. While my eagerness toward many occasions (16 more days!) may be taking over my every thought, I must begin to open my eyes to the live I have been so graciously given. I have a million opportunities at my footstep and yet, I yearn toward the unnecessary tolls of life. I want to take these next 40 days as an appreciation for what I have been given: my wonderful family, my loving friends, my inspirational role models, and even the little things that make me smile from time to time. (i.e., country music, warm sunshine, graphic jokes and Diet Coke)

No matter what religion you are or what you believe, we are all people. We must celebrate the idea that we are living these amazing lives and telling our own stories page by page. Every one of us does count and we can make a difference in our lives, whether it be creating a charity or being a best friend. Lent may not be up your alley, but I ask you to look at the next 40 days as a new adventure to embark upon. 

And don't forget: Every Friday is Filet O'Fish Friday. McDonalds is one of my many keys to happiness. Take advantage while it's here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment