Friday, September 18, 2015

John Cougar. John Deere. John 3:16.

"And I learned everything I needed to know
from John Cougar, John Deere, John 3:16."

- Keith Urban.


Yet another year of exploring the Tennessee State Fair and another year of explaining what FFA stands for to my friends.

While I'm no country girl with cowboy boots and a Carhartt to match, I do know my way around the agricultural industry. I grew up having "green hands" for friends and played with 4-H animals out at the farm. Besides, the main event of every summer from my hometown is the fair and we like to hoedown, for sure.


But my pals from California, New York and Florida, respectively, don't know squat about being a little hick. I went to the fair in hopes to pet the cows and eat some corn straight off the cob. They went to the fair to try their hands at carnie games and see the "sugar gilder" animal. Umm...what?!

Despite our slight disagreements on getting down and dirty in the dust, we all stuffed our faces on fried Oreos and walked around in the glow of the Tilt-a-Whirl lights. It signified a bittersweet kiss goodbye to summertime in the South (which I'm still not sure if I'm prepared for).

But give me the smell of alfalfa and the overcrowded overall scene and I am, once again, at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment