Monday, April 6, 2015

What You Wanted.

"I'll run out of this town.
Oh, my love is true.
Tell me
something I wouldn't do."

- OneRepublic.

Tulips and canals and bicycles, oh my!

Don't forget to throw in some windmills, pancakes and other illegal things as well. Because this past weekend, I went to Amsterdam. Let me just say: the stereotypes and beauty are BOTH true.

With slight hesitation weeks before, I wasn't sure how high my expectations were for the Dutch city. I mean, it looked cool and I kinda liked it, but by no means was it on the top of my list. Even if I did go in with high expectations though, I would not have been disappointed.

Under both rainy and sunny skies, Kelly and I strolled down tangled alleyways and crossed even the skinniest of bridges from side to side. We saw stuff in windows that I don't think you could find anywhere else in the world (wink wink). We stuffed our faces with so many carbs I don't even think my unhealthy eating habits were prepared for it. 

But what matters most was how we both never wanted to leave the city of clogs. Honestly, we could have stayed forever. Who knows? Maybe one day, I'll return to cycle the city and cruise the canals.

Because I AMsterdam.


Four hours worth the wait. From 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., I may have questioned myself a million times why I would stand and shiver in a line as long as this. But once we touched the handrails of the stairs and glanced at the cut-out magazine pictures glued to the walls, it put everything back into perspective. I don't think I could even imagine what it was like to be cooped up in a pitch black house for two years and the fact that eight men and women could is beyond me. Haunting yet inspiring all at once. 

All the beer.




Still can't get over how incredibly beautiful every single street was. I'm just speechless trying to think of something to say about how pretty everything was. Even as the rain trickled down, it all looked perfect, tilted townhouses and all.


Because did you really go to Amsterdam and not try on a pair of clogs? DON'T HATE.





You can probably tell by now that we went to the Heineken Factory. But out of all the alcoholic beverage tours we've signed up for, this one was off the hook. We drank our free pints among the record-breaking size crowd. There were interactive photobooths everywhere. You could even try out your DJ skills at the turntables. How cool is that? Plus, the lights and decor made it club-worthy. Boom.


This is the sign in front of the Rijksmuseum. (Still don't know how to pronounce that, so I just say Ricksjicksjfkjgkjrmuseum. Yep, that's about accurate.)



Boom clap. This isn't just any bench. No. This is the bench where Hazel Grace and Gus sat. And cried. And kissed. This, ladies and gentlemen, is the famous Fault in Our Stars bench. With graffiti 'Okay? Okay.' written on the seat. Wish I could have waited for Ansel to stop by all day long...

This water view is courtesy of our canal boat tour upon the Amsterdam waters. Instead of seeing the sites by foot, we took to our sea legs (but freshwater...) and hopped on board. The water taxis take you to anywhere you would want to hang in the city, but this was my favorite because we literally were in open waters. It was like being on the lake for the day, except the lake was in Europe and the boat was indoor and heated. Hey, I'll trade for that.



Trying to cheese it while in front of a palace and sun shining straight in my face results in great lighting and awkward faces/poses.

Seven Bridges: the only place you can see straight through the arches upon the continuous bridges that connect each 'stracht' in town.

Whoops. Sorry, Mom, for going in there. (I swear it was the first and last time.)



Goodness gracious.

Future home goals.

Still waiting for Ansel...forever waiting for Ansel.

Saving the best for last. By last, I mean the last look we had of Amsterdam before heading home on the train Sunday night. Dusk is the best time of day and the view from Centraal is the best place to see it all from. Bye Amsterdam. Don't ever change.

No comments:

Post a Comment